Tuesday 30 May 2017

Attic Storage Question

The saga of our move to the Land of Flip Flops continues ...

In this high altitude climate with nighttime temps still hovering around freezing and fresh snow on the mountain tops, this girl wears socks with her hippie sandals well into June but that will have to change, of course, when we hit Florida. I've bought some flip flops and other sandals... and new nail polish.


one of my several pair of sandals purchased recently
at Kohls, if you are interested


Acclimatization to that strap between the toes on flip flops is kinda painful! Mary has suggested wearing them for just a few hours each day to allow the feet time to get used to it. 

I'm telling ya, there are adjustments to be made when moving to a totally different climate!

Then there is the matter of downsizing my wealth of silk flowers, china, hobby supplies, clothing, and so much more.  I spent much time yesterday going through our basement boxes, once again seeking to do away with just as much of the unnecessary as possible, re-evaluating things I thought I needed to keep, re-arranging the contents of boxes with the hope some of them could even be eliminated.


Look at all the empty space in our unfinished basement --
storage galore!!
I was nearing success but at day's end I fell short of my goal. So this evening I am giving the entire matter another critical eye. Tomorrow I hope to have broken down the matter even more.

You see, we have been blessed with some large houses built on top of generous basements where storage was most definitely not a problem. It is human nature to fill the space we have, so when we move into smaller quarters, serious decisions have to be made.

I am so wound up over this because twenty-some years ago we moved to the Land of Flip Flops (yes, we have lived there before for about a year) and the shock of too much stuff in a house lacking good storage did me in. We had a huge garage sale before we moved down there, but as we unpacked I realized we still had way too much stuff!!

We got rid of a lot (I thought) and still had to rent a storage locker for the excess. I don't want to go through that again. I want to discipline myself to get this right sans money spent for off-property storage.

Thankfully, I've still got the time to work it out, but my clock will run out in about two weeks.

Hey readers, I have a question for you. In our new house we have one of those pull-down ladders for access to the attic above the garage. That is large enough for storage, but shouldn't I be concerned about the heat, maybe things melting or discoloring, or getting moldy?

Surfer Girl has just emailed to say she stores seasonal things and folding chairs, but never any fabric. 

Since I know all about basement storage, dealing with a hot attic is foreign to me. If you have experience with storing things in a sub-tropical climate, please leave your helpful comments. I want to learn from you!

0 komentar: