Thursday 16 March 2017

Having My Cake and Eating It, Too

Teach us to number our days,
that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
Psalm 90:12

my birthday cake under glass with our traditional
celebratory curly ribbon adoring the party table

With that scripture in mind, today I am "numbering my days," which are quite a lot, thanks to the Lord's mercies. I won't tell you the exact sum of them (ladies don't like to share their age and it's impolite for children to ask), but let's just say  I'm old enough to be retired and still young enough to enjoy it.

my first birthday cake in many years
Yesterday I baked a birthday cake for myself, not a cupcake but an entire cake.  I haven't done that for a very long time. Since I can't eat wheat, dairy, or eggs, dealing with the chemistry required for creating an allergy-free cake has been just too much. I barely passed that science class in school, so I don't tamper with it in my kitchen.

cake and candle
I don't remember why right now, but the other day I poked around on the Internet and found an allergy-free recipe for yellow cake with chocolate frosting and I decided to give it a try. If you're interested, the link for it is here.


I was still a little leery since my kitchen sits at 6,224 feet above sea level (that is well over a mile high). Most bakers around here follow the high altitude instructions on boxed cake mixes. But I just followed the basic directions of the recipe on the link. As you can see, it turned out just fine!

yellow cake with chocolate frosting
on the Charming Barbara china 
I baked and frosted the cake the day before my birthday and then we sliced into it that night.  My reasoning was that I was born in the wee hours of the morning in the Central Time Zone, so if we waited until tonight to have my cake here in the Mountain Time Zone, I'd be many hours past the time of my birth!

the back of the dishes
Also, I was very eager to see what the cake would look like on the china The Cook on Fifth Street gave to me last summer. I grew up with this china on her table and always assumed hoped they would be mine some day. I think they support birthday cake very well, don't you?


We intend to share some of the cake with our neighbors. If you lived nearby, I'd give some to you!

Because of the LORD's great love
we are not consumed, 
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
Lamentations 3:22-23

---------------------------------------
Disclaimer: today Blogger decided to play around with my font choices and sizes. (grumble, grumble) I can't seem to get it fixed, so that's why things look a little crazy in this post.












0 komentar: