Tuesday 14 March 2017

Beth Moore's First Novel

Note: there is no Wednesday Hodgepodge today. Our Hodgepodge hostess is entertaining family from out of town. She will be back next week.


After years of writing a truckload of Bible studies, touring all over the United States and internationally, speaking in simulcasts, and appearing with a small part in the movie War Room with Priscilla Shirer, she has managed to find the time to write her first novel.

I love Beth Moore and have greatly benefitted from her Bible studies, but those who know me well are aware that I feel she takes too long to get around to making her point in both her speaking and her writing. Where are the editors to trim it down?! I mean, she wears me out at times! 


However, she is beautiful, fun to watch, has a trendy wardrobe, never has a bad hair day, is blessed with a great sense of humor,  is a knowledgeable Bible teacher and is most especially effective with those who are younger than me. That's just her style and it works for her. But since she wears me out, I have not done her studies over the last few years.

When I saw that she had written a novel, my first thought was to not pick it up. But upon further reflection, I decided that maybe all that wordiness would be a positive thing in a volume of fiction.

From the first couple of pages, I was hooked. The story was unpredictable, did not preach at the reader, and had me wondering where it would lead. It centers in New Orleans, a place very unfamiliar to me, and even a little scary.



But knowing Beth as I do, I felt 'safe' in her pages. Even when one of the characters pulled out a deck of Tarot cards, something I know to be very unchristian, I knew Beth would not take her readers to places or conclusions we should not embrace.

As I got into the second half of the book, I actually slowed down my reading because I enjoyed it so much, I did not want to hasten  the end!

Eventually I did get to a place where I could not put the book down and sure enough, it came to an end. 

That's all I'll say about it. Read it for yourself. I think you will like it.

0 komentar: