Thursday 16 February 2017

A Tardy Celebration of the Hodgepodge



Hey Hodgepodge buddies, 


My contribution is late this week but now I've got a few minutes to join you in our weekly habit. 

1. What do/did you call your grandparents? If it's something unusual tell us the story behind the same. If you're a grandparent what do your grands call you? Who chose your moniker?



My maternal grandparents were known as Gramper and Grammer. I am told I (as the first grandchild) gave them those names when I was very little because apparently that was the best I could enunciate "Grandma" and "Grandpa."



Beloved and I are known to our grands as Grammy and Grandad. We were very deliberate in letting our littles know our names because we didn't want to get saddled with something we didn't like. 



2. Ever taken a road trip along the California Coast? If so what was the highlight of your trek?  If not, any desire to do so? What's one tourist attraction along the coast you'd add to your must-see list?

photo by Fodors on the Internet
golden gate bridge

When I was sixteen years old, my father took a new job that required us to move from the San Fernando Valley in Southern California to Vancouver, British Columbia. After the moving van was loaded and gone, we took several days to drive up the coast to our new home. It was a long drive, but pleasant. I remember a highlight was crossing the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.



3. What are three things you don't know how to do?


I don't know how to play the piano, speak French, or play golf.



4. Tom Peters is quoted as saying "Celebrate what you want to see more of."  If that's true, what and how will you celebrate?



I would like to see more health-conscious foods at potlucks. I usually take a salad that is chock-full of colorful, nutrient-dense ingredients tucked in with the dark leafy greens.



5. Thursday (February 16) is National Almond Day. Do you like almonds? Which would you prefer -- an Almond Joy or a macaroon? What's something you make that calls for almonds?



Love Almond Joy and macaroons -- both of which I cannot have any more due to food allergies. I use almond milk often in my cooking.



6. What does Saturday morning look like at your house?



On Saturday mornings we usually have homemade waffles or pancakes for breakfast. Then we clear away the dishes and bring our laptop computers to the table where we both catch up on our emails for about an hour and drink coffee.



7. Share with us a favorite book you've read this winter.



I am in the process of reading Beth Moore's first attempt at writing a novel...




The Undoing of Saint Silvanus. I'm not halfway through yet, but it's got me hooked. I even read several chapters aloud to Beloved in the car and he enjoyed it.

8. Insert your own random thought here.




Earlier this week Beloved and I were traveling I-80 through Nebraska when we were thrilled to see hundreds and hundreds (I'm not exaggerating) of Snow Geese flying overhead. It was a thrilling sight. I have since then learned that one of their most popular migration patterns from the Arctic Sea to Patagonia takes them directly over Nebraska. We were able to enjoy them for a couple of hours as we drove. Their flocks were huge and as they swooped in the sky they looked silver-like. We loved it!

---------------
Linking  up today at

0 komentar: