Tuesday 7 November 2017

Pondering Eldercare

my mother's cedar chest now rests in my home

I will sing the Lord's praise
for He has been good to me. 
Psalm 13:6

The Cook on Fifth Street* is enjoying her new apartment. She shows up promptly for breakfast, lunch, and dinner because not only is she spared the task of meal preparations, but she has a favorite place to sit and wants to claim it before others arrive.


As Beloved and I traveled back to Florida on this most recent trip, I brought with me several Bibles from my parent's bookshelves, my mother's wedding dress, and a sweater that both Sister and I wore when we were very little. Sister was given the cutest little bitty red swimsuit from her toddler days.


My mother gave me my handprint, presumably made in Kindergarten or maybe Vacation Bible School.  Once upon a time my hands were young with straight fingers and no arthritis in the joints.




Speaking of hands, here is a pair of "idiot mittens" (as one comedian described them), so named because of the string that is run through the sleeves of a child's coat allowing the mittens to dangle from the sleeves and not get lost. I sort of remember wearing them when we lived in the wintery cold of upstate New York.

These special treasures came to me at a good time. It is hard to watch parents age. Many questions occupy my thoughts as to what God's purpose can possibly be in all of it. 

I am reminded with these moments that God gave me good parents who took very good care of Sister and me, sometimes at great personal sacrifice. Cheerful aspects of my growing up years are coming to the surface of my memories, causing gratitude to swell up within me. 

Just as parents care for their helpless, ignorant babies, adult children care for aging parents who need our compassionate assistance. Parents have to overlook, forebear, and at times curb the immaturity of their offspring. 

Adult children must repay the favor with wise care for the parents. In both cases, the calling is not always easy nor enjoyable, but it is nonetheless an assignment given by God for His purposes and our good.

And, we are promised blessing for honoring our parents:

Honor your father and your mother,
that your days may be long
in the land that the LORD your God
is giving you.
Exodus 20:12

* "The Cook on Fifth Street" is the pseudonym my mother chose for herself during my early days of blogging when I had a fun name for everybody and would superimpose sunglasses or funny hats on their photographs for security reasons.

0 komentar: